Sunday, June 17, 2012

Book Review:Enchanted by Alethea Kontis


EnchantedEnchanted by Alethea Kontis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Pages:305
Published:  May 8th 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books
Blurb: It isn't easy being the rather overlooked and unhappy youngest sibling to sisters named for the other six days of the week. Sunday’s only comfort is writing stories, although what she writes has a terrible tendency to come true.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The prince returns to his castle, intent on making Sunday fall in love with him as the man he is, not the frog he was. But Sunday is not so easy to woo. How can she feel such a strange, strong attraction for this prince she barely knows? And what twisted secrets lie hidden in his past - and hers?


 My Review:


I have read quite a few fairy-tale re-tellings this year and it was a very pleasant experience.All of them were so good that I felt that it would be cruel to say which one was the best among the type.Enchanted was one of these books.In Enchanted, the author took parts from different fairy-tales,whether it be ideas,concepts,or simply incidents and molded all of them into one beautiful tale of her own.While reading the book,I felt nostalgic,as it reminded me of the times when I used to curl up in bed at night and listen to my father recite similar tales to me.Everyone wants to be drifted off to their own imaginary land of fairy-tales once in a while,and this book is the perfect getaway!It's the kind of book which has its cheesy and adorable romance,the type which you know is a bit silly but still makes you feel giddy all over.The characters were wonderfully portrayed and perfectly synchronized with the storyline.The words of every single line had a poetic effect to the story,and they made it seem as if the story itself was a lullaby.Oh,and there's more.The book has fey in it!*Squeals*,ever since I've read The Iron Fey series I've fallen head over heels in love with their kind.In Enchanted,one particular fey,namely Trix,caught my attention.I found him really adorable and felt like kidnapping him and taking him home with me.But then reality hit me and I remembered that he was a fictional character.Oh,how unfair could life be!?Rumbold was quite a gentleman,even when he was a frog.His formality towards Sunday made me blush.It was as if he were directing his words at me instead of Sunday.But then again,that's just wishful thinking.Sunday is one lucky girl to have such a wonderful prince.I'm really jealous of her.
Even though this book is marked as a YA novel,I think that children from the age group of 9 to 12 can read it as well.It has romance in it,but no mushy stuff.It doesn't have any slangs or cussings in it either.Though I'd especially recommend it for tweens(or pre-teens,in other words),teens and anyone who loves fairy-tales.This is a book definitely worth having in paperback/hardcover.
View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. I love fairytales retellings as well! All the imaginary world and creatures remind me of my childhood! :) Keeping an eye ours for Enchanted!

    I'm now a proud new follower of your blog, do drop by mine @ bookaworld.wordpress.com too!

    -Alicia
    bookaworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,thanks for following me!I'll definitely drop by your blog.Oh,and glad to know that we have something in common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm a HUGE fairy tale retelling fan!I love them so much and I've had my eyes on Enchanted for a while now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!You are absolutely about to make my day! :)
I really appreciate feedback from my readers on every single one of my posts but please keep in mind that Daydreaming Bookworm is an award free zone. I used to accept blog award tags before but now I really don't have the time.Sorry!