Friday, October 05, 2012

Book Review: Covet by Melissa Darnell

Covet by Melissa Darnell

My Rating: 4 of 5 stars  

Publication Date: September 25th 2012 by HarlequinTeen

Blurb:  Dangerous to be together. Painful to be apart.Savannah Colbert knows she broke up with Tristan Coleman for the right reasons. Most of all, to keep from killing him with her new vampire abilities. But try telling her heart. Now, lost in a sea of hostile Clann faces, Sav tries to come to terms with what she's becoming and what that means for her future. And that someone is doing their best to bully her into making a terrible mistake.

Tristan can't believe Sav won't even talk to him. If being apart is her decision, fine. Just don't expect him to honor it. But even as he prepares to fight for the girl he loves, forces beyond their control take them both in directions neither could have foreseen or prepared for.

A reckoning is coming…and not everyone will survive.


My Review:

 Thank you Netgalley and HarlequinTeen for the ARC.

Okay people,I know that you're really freaked out by the cover but I'll ask you to give this one a chance.In fact,as much as I am ashamed to admit it,the reason that I actually agreed to read/review this book even though I gave the first one a two star rating was solely because of the cover(and because I can't go on leaving a series unfinished -_-). The cover had a sort of repelling attraction on me,if that even makes sense.I guess I always like chasing after the unique ;). Well, HarlequinTeen's done a pretty good job with being unique with this cover,so a round of applause to them!
(Disclaimer: I do not own the image)
Okay,are we done with the applause?So let's get on to the main part.I won't even try to deny the fact that this book's extremely cheesy and that the characters in it are extremely immature.Seriously,forbidden love,with both the guy and the girl and going all Romeo and Juliet?Puh-leassseee!!!!I've read this so much and of course not to mention the fact that this book contains vampire romance,which makes me scrunch up my nose nowadays as if it's like some sort of garbage dump.(The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa is an exception.)
I know that you're wondering that even after complaining so much,why did I give this book a four-star rating?It's all in the writing style.The author has a way with words,which draws you inside and gives you a clear concept of what she wants you to see.It's like you know that the story's not that promising,but you just can't seem to put it down!Your traitorous mind bugs at you,and you stay up all night to finish the book in one sitting.I'm talking about my own experiences.So all you authors out there,you should really follow Melissa Darnell's example.Though it may not seem like much,but the way you write has a lot to do with what readers think of your books.Look at Covet for example.In Crave,I didn't like anything about the story.The writing wasn't that exceptional either.I honestly didn't see a four star rating coming for this one,at least not from me.But look at that!Sometimes the impossible does seem to be possible!So I'm absolutely thrilled for Melissa Darnell and have set high expectations for her.Definitely reading Consume!Who knows?Maybe she might have even more surprises in store for me.

P.S To Melissa Darnell if you're reading this review or ever come across it,I really am sorry that I couldn't enjoy Crave as much as I enjoyed Covet.But then again,people have different tastes right? :)


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the first novel but the cover of this one is so horrid that I've been putting off this novel! I'm definitely going to give it a shot now!

    LOVE your review

    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodie!Thanks! :) I love having constant readers like you.Anyway,yeah I know the cover is horrid but at least it's unique...that counts right?You should definitely give this a shot if you like the first one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess something... I received an ARC of this through NetGalley and I never ended up reading it...
    I just couldn't bring myself to start it and I'm not sure why.
    I really like your review though and am glad that it surprised you!
    I might go back and read it now and hopefully it will surprise me too!
    :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on the fence with this series, but you've convinced me. I'm putting the first book on hold NOW!

    Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!You are absolutely about to make my day! :)
I really appreciate feedback from my readers on every single one of my posts but please keep in mind that Daydreaming Bookworm is an award free zone. I used to accept blog award tags before but now I really don't have the time.Sorry!