Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Book Review: The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clark


The Assassin's CurseThe Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Number of pages:416
Expected publication: October 2nd 2012 by Strange Chemistry
Blurb:Ananna of the Tanarau is the eldest daughter of a highly-ranked family in the loose assortment of cutthroats and thieves in the Pirate's Confederation. When she runs away from the marriage her parents have arranged for her, they hire Naji the assassin to murder her.

When a mysterious woman in a dress shop offers her magical assistance for dealing with the assassin, Ananna accepts. She never went in much for magic herself -- she lacks the talent for it -- but she's not quite ready to die yet, either. Unfortunately, the woman's magic fails.

Fortunately, Ananna inadvertently saves the assassin's life in the skirmish, thus activating a curse that had been placed on him a few years earlier. Now, whenever her life is in danger, he must protect her -- or else he experiences tremendous physical pain. Neither Ananna nor the assassin, Naji, are pleased about this development.

Follow Ananna and Naji as they sail across the globe, visiting such mysterious places as the Court of Salt and Waves, in their desperate effort to lift the curse. Soon they will discover that only by completing three impossible tasks will they be able to set themselves free.


My Review: 

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book. 

I have almost nothing to complain about this book.Sure,it took it's time in proceeding with the main story so at the beginning it felt a bit boring.But once the story proceeded,I got more and more sucked into this newly created world of pirates and assassins by Cassandra Rose Clarke. From the cover and the storyline,I could tell that the story was set in the Middle-East,and let me tell you,I have not seen much YA fantasy novels which were set in the Middle-East.And readers appreciate uniqueness.I don't know about you guys but I obviously do.I liked the heroine Ananna's tom-boyish attitude.When I started reading about her I was like :YES!Finally no pretty and weak damsel in distress!!!I've been reading about them so much that I've grown sick of them.At first I thought that Naji would be cool,but when I saw that he's the damsel in distress here I almost laughed my head off!!Bravo!Bravo Ms. Clarke!Where have you been all my life?!We really need to chat.Anytime you're free,just pop over to my place. ;)
Remember where I said that I had almost nothing to complain about this book?I said ALMOST along with nothing.Please put emphasis on that word.I did have one thing to complain about,or maybe two, which made me refrain from giving this book a five star rating.The ending was too abrupt.It had little or no romance in it,which was fine by me,since I'm not that big a fan of romance,but I felt that the ending killed all the suspense.According to the author's blog,there will be a sequel to this book,then that's it.That's a good sign,since a lot of authors keep writing sequels on and on just to bring in cash.Now,am I going to read the sequel?Hell yeah!! :D

View all my reviews

16 comments:

  1. new follower through GFC as lucyatmax...please follow me at bethartfromtheheart.blogspot.com...
    Great blog btw
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I definitely want to read this!
    I also really enjoy stories with an original setting.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to thank you for an honest and insightful review, on a book that i would definately love to have the oportunity of reading. It sounds truly facinating and quite refreshingly origional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I greatly dislike weak and pretty distressing damsels. Urhg! Yuk. Yuk! I must admit that i like it when the book just ends. It keeps you wondering and anticipating the next book (if there is one). I want to read the second book now, and I haven't even read the first! Cassandra must be a pretty good author to get such a responce!

    Star :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I'm so tired of weak, helpless girls that always need to be saved. I've been straying far away from those books and am glad that I've found a book that fits right into my historical fiction/fantasy/adventure kick. I admit, though, that I'm a romantic and love when an author can write romance well. It makes me happy. Ha. So, I hope that the ending isn't to bad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reaaally liked that the girl is not the damsel in distress, there's a lot of books with girls like that and I also got tired of them, WE NEED MORE BADASSES GIRLS, so I'm really looking forward to read this book. Thanks for the reviw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!And yes One more badass girl is Really appreciated!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reviewing this book! I never read YA book (or adult) in which was the story set in the Middle-East but it sounds great. The cover of Assassins Curse is beautiful. I can´t wait to read this book, looks like an amazing read :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well from the synopsis and your review I'd like to read his book. It seems to me like Aladdin or the tales of Thousand and one nights :)
    I'm interested in Middle-East as we don't know much about it 'reading-book-culture?' =)
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much for the review, I added The Assassin's Curse to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review!
    I have heard good things about this book everywhere. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to get my hands on this book! I saw this on Netgalley some time ago and it's been on my wishlist since. Reading reviews for it always makes me want it more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!You are absolutely about to make my day! :)
I really appreciate feedback from my readers on every single one of my posts but please keep in mind that Daydreaming Bookworm is an award free zone. I used to accept blog award tags before but now I really don't have the time.Sorry!