Friday, February 01, 2013

Book Review: The Fire Horse Girl by Kay Honeyman

 The Fire Horse GirlThe Fire Horse Girl by Kay Honeyman

My Rating : 5 0f 5 stars

   
Publication date:  January 1st 2013 by Arthur A. Levine Books

Blurb: A fiery and romantic adventure, perfect for fans of Grace Lin, Kristen Cashore, or Lisa See!

Jade Moon is a Fire Horse -- the worst sign in the Chinese zodiac for girls, said to make them stubborn, willful, and far too imaginative. But while her family despairs of marrying her off, she has a passionate heart and powerful dreams, and wants only to find a way to make them come true.

Then a young man named Sterling Promise comes to their village to offer Jade Moon and her father a chance to go to America. While Sterling Promise's smooth manners couldn't be more different from her own impulsive nature, Jade Moon falls in love with him on the long voyage. But America in 1923 doesn't want to admit many Chinese, and when they are detained at Angel Island, the "Ellis Island of the West," she discovers a betrayal that destroys all her dreams. To get into America, much less survive there, Jade Moon will have to use all her stubbornness and will to break a new path . . . one as brave and dangerous as only a Fire Horse girl can imagine.



My Review:   

  

** A huge thanks to Scholastic for sending a review copy of this book,and to my cousin in NY for forwarding it to me.This review would not have been in existence if it weren't for you guys!**

-Recommended for children above the age of 12.

The premise of The Fire Horse Girl might have been beyond my usual comfort zone,but I still decided to take my chances when asking for a review copy since I absolutely love discovering new titles.And being a book blogger/reviewer,I get to do that A LOT.

The story of The Fire Horse Girl is basically based on the immigration of the Chinese to America around the 1920s and about how one Chinese girl's fiery and temperamental personality helped her survive there.Most men in America,especially the Chinese ones,were not at all respectful towards their female counterparts during that time do being a Chinese female and surviving in America took a lot of guts.And it seemed that our protagonist had just that;tons of it.

The Fire Horse Girl is one of those books that you will keep wanting to hold on to,with an unforgettable premise,admirable characters,and a well-paced storyline.While it went perfectly as a stand-alone,if it ever had a sequel I would gladly welcome it with open arms.The thing which felt most surreal to me was the fact that this was the author's debut.I know a lot of well published authors who still have yet to write a book as good as this one.Kay Honeyman definitely has a bright future ahead of her.Can't wait to see what else she's got in store!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely love books with asian protagonists, there are not enough books with Asian protagonists! Asian pride haha. I didn't know this was set in the 1920s! This just makes it even more interesting, gonna check it out when I can :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished this book yesterday and I liked it a lot. It was out of my comfort zone, since I usually don't read historical fiction books, but I still loved it (:

    My review: http://wimpyteengirl.blogspot.co.il/2013/01/book-review-fire-horse-girl-by-kay.html

    Cool blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yοuг style is unіque in compariѕon to οther folks
    I hаvе геaԁ stuff from.
    Τhanκ yοu fоr poѕting when уou hаve thе opportunitу, Guess I will just bookmark this ѕitе.

    http://www.violinfromtheheart.com/violin-lessons-for-beginners/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! This aгticle could not be written any betteг!
    Looking through this post reminds mе оf my pгeviοus rοommаte!
    He continuallу kеpt talking about this.
    I most cеrtаinly wіll sеnd this post
    to hіm. Fairly ceгtain he wіll have
    a very good read. Ι appreciate you for sharing!
    www.Getbackyourexnow.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!You are absolutely about to make my day! :)
I really appreciate feedback from my readers on every single one of my posts but please keep in mind that Daydreaming Bookworm is an award free zone. I used to accept blog award tags before but now I really don't have the time.Sorry!