Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Ever thought of a cyborg Cinderella?And yes, I do mean like the cyborgs which we see in sci-fi movies and comic books,so don't think that I'm talking about something else.Well,Marissa Meyer was actually able to think up such a concept for her book,Cinder.
By this time you've probably figured this out, but still I'm mentioning it.Cinder is a dystopian re-telling of Cinderella.The prince charming in this book is a hot Chinese guy and the main character,Cinder, is a cyborg.Not only that,she's also the best mechanic in the city.The story is set in New Beijing,the capital of the Eastern Commonwealth,whose king is Kai's(our prince charming)father.But then he gets infected by this deadly plague which has been been spreading throughout the empire.We also come across the existence of this civilization of Lunar people whose queen is trying to make the lives of our world's leaders hell.There is nothing they can do but compromise because she has strong troops and they know that starting a war would make things only worse.Don't worry,we still have the evil stepsisters(well,one of them anyways)and stepmother.After all what's a good story without its main villains?To give you an even better idea of the story,here's the blurb:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

But let me tell you one more thing.I would've liked Cinder a whole lot better if Marissa Meyer described Cinder's personality more like this:



















   






than like this:


You know,a bit bad-ass. Not that I'm complaining. I absolutely loved Cinder because of it's uniqueness from the other fairy-tale re-tellings.The fact that the author was able to think up such a plot was more than enough to impress me.The book ends in a cliffhanger and according to the author,there will be three more sequels to the book.
Cinder has also been translated to Italian and Spanish.Here are the covers:
This one's the Italian cover:
and this is the Spanish one.










 I know,I know.The Italian cover's way cooler.But some disappointments just have to be borne.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you on book blogs, and I'm now following! This book has been on my goodreads TBR since long before it came out. Why have I not read it!!?? Guess I need to make time!

    I'd love a follow back: http://flyingonsilverwings.blogspot.com
    And be sure to enter my giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me!I totally appreciate it! I'll make sure to follow you back and enter your giveaways as well.By the way, you should totally read the book!It's awesome.Even though I would have preferred a more badass main character. :D

      Delete
  2. Nice review! Totally agree that this was a great original take on the old Cinderella fairy tale! Really looking forward to seeing what happens next, as I want Cinder to have her happy ending.

    Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to get to this series soon! I really love the concept of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!You are absolutely about to make my day! :)
I really appreciate feedback from my readers on every single one of my posts but please keep in mind that Daydreaming Bookworm is an award free zone. I used to accept blog award tags before but now I really don't have the time.Sorry!