Thursday, May 03, 2012

Book Review:Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium (Delirium, #1)Delirium by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The blurb:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


My Review:

Review copy of this book was provided by the author.

They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever.

In a dystopic America where love is considered as a lethal disease known as amor deliria nervosa , Lauren Oliver tells the story of a timid girl named Lena and her encounter with love in such a world.

I loved how Lauren Oliver portrayed her image of a dystopic America in Delirium.At the age of eighteen,every American citizen has to go through the procedure of the "cure" which basically, in real terms,means getting rid of all the emotions present in a person.I found this concept very interesting.After all,what is a human without his/her humanity,or in other words, emotions?Emotions are what gives a person his/her humanity and makes them human.

In Lena's America,however,we see that humanity in humans is struggling to survive.There are many who,have gone through the cure and lost all their emotions.Then there are the invalids or the rebels who pretend to be cured but are actually working against the government.And finally,there are those who are below eighteen,waiting to be cured,and are in a dilemma since they are confused and don't know what to make of their emotions.

But that's just the background.The main story revolves around Lena, her wild and adventurous friend Hana,and Alex, the person who makes Lena realize that maybe love is not so horrible as everyone around her thinks.This also makes her have second thoughts on the fact that whether she really wants to get cured.

Suspenseful and dystopic, and with forbidden love at its core, Delirium is an ideal read for all YA fans.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I also loved Delirium and Pandemonium and am (im)oatiently waiting for Requiem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading Delirium. I've already get a half book, and I like it :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!You are absolutely about to make my day! :)
I really appreciate feedback from my readers on every single one of my posts but please keep in mind that Daydreaming Bookworm is an award free zone. I used to accept blog award tags before but now I really don't have the time.Sorry!